Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/gater/kawoosh.co.uk/forum/header.php on line 202
Kawoosh! Stargate Vidding Forum - Foreign Language Challenge - Powered by XMB
Kawoosh! Stargate Vidding Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/gater/kawoosh.co.uk/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 334

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/gater/kawoosh.co.uk/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 334

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Foreign Language Challenge
afterThought Female
Challenge Manager

Mood: Coffee... need coffee!!

[*] posted on 11-4-2009 at 07:10 AM
Foreign Language Challenge

Parlez-vous, Français? Español? Русский язык? Português? Deutsch? Italiano? Ελληνικά? தமிழ்? Kiswahili? Klingon?

If so, this challenge is for YOU! Kawoosh! would like invite you to the Foreign Language Challenge!

Stargate has fans from around the world. We'd like to celebrate that diversity by having a challenge that showcases our many different languages.

Here are the guidelines for this challenge:

- All music must have non-English lyrics.
- Subtitles are allowed but not required.
- A text translation of the lyrics to English would be advisable and very helpful to assist non-native speakers in understanding the music.

Do you have a song but need it translated? Please feel free to post your request in this thread – if a forum member speaks that language, I'm sure they'd be willing to translate it for you.

As usual, dazzle us with your talent by pairing your music with Stargate footage from either SG-1 or Atlantis.

This challenge will run for 6 weeks instead of the usual 4 to allow for the extra preparation ie. lyric translation. You can post your entries in the Foreign Language Challenge thread at any time.

Deadline for this challenge is May 24, 2009 at midnight GMT.

Please feel free to spread the word that this challenge is on!! We look forward to your unique creations!

Just a reminder for any newbies to our lovely challenges:

CHALLENGE RULES/GUIDELINES

1. Only one entry per participant per challenge. (unless the individual challenge indicates otherwise)

2. No editing/tweaking of the entry once it has been submitted to the challenge thread.

3. Original entries only for each challenge - previously made/re-edited vids cannot be entered and will not be allowed.

4. You must use an approved hosting link for your vid to be eligible.
Approved hosting list

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f353/after_thought_/MyBannercompletesmaller-1.jpg
Valika Female
Lieutenant

Mood: better and better

[*] posted on 11-4-2009 at 09:09 AM

Hey, I'm here, if anybody needs some help either to find or to translate a Hungarian song into English. Come on!:)

"There is one thing that I do know is true. Mind is a powerful thing.
No matter who or what you believe in, sometimes belief itself makes
all the difference in the world you just don't give up.
Tell yourself whatever you have to, just believe you're gonna make it."

http://mywebgate.yolasite.com/resources/SGbanner.png
Korat
Lieutenant

Mood: sleep deprived.

[*] posted on 11-4-2009 at 08:10 PM

Oh yeah, I'm so ready for this challenge... As long as I can still use a french song.
If anyone needs a French translation I'll be more than willing to show of my shiny new language skills!!!

Nebulan Female
Lieutenant

[*] posted on 13-4-2009 at 11:27 PM

Question: Can I do a song that was originally written in English? I confess I don't know if I'll have time for this challenge, but I might (there are several other vids I need to do too, one doesn't have a deadline until august but another is later this month).

Can I do a song that was originally written in English as long as i'm using the non English version and going by the translation, not the original lyrics (ok, it's a Disney song, my sister and I amuse ourselves by finding songs we're already familiar with because they're disney, but listening to the foriegn language versions, spanish for her and german for me, since that's what we took in school, the songs have the same general meaning as the original, but because they don't always translate exactly, some songs, like the one I'm looking at, have a slightly different meaning, and the one I wanna do I actually like the German lyrics better).

So... allowed? If so, I could use some help verifying the translation from a German speaker. (I have a general idea from the lyrics I could find online plus the German I learned in school and the help of google translate but I'd like to verify with someone if possible).

I have trouble deciding what to do for contests like these, but when I can work in a vid I was already thinking about it works... and this can go with the Disney theme I've been doing for a while.

If you'd rather I find something that was originally in another language, I have another question: Does it have to be a real language? (I'm thinkings soundtracks like Duel of the Fates or even Adiemus, which isn't really a language) or if it is a real language, do I have to know the translation? lol (for example my Chekov vid, I still don't know what they're singing in Russian even tho since I've looked up translations for other Hunt for Red October songs).

-§- My Fanart -§- My Vids
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/nebulan/new%20sg%20sigs/kawooshsig.jpg
UhSir Female
Captain

Mood: Pretty good, thank you!

[*] posted on 14-4-2009 at 05:43 PM

http://bestsmileys.com/hyper/3.gif

I'm in on this one.

++++++++++++++++++
Vidding since December 2005.

Hardware: ASUS G73SW-A1, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (4095 MB, DirectX 11, Shader Model 5), Dual 500 GB internal hard drives.

Software: Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows Movie Maker 6, DVD Shrink, Windows Media Encoder 9, Freemake Video Converter, Audacity.
Torri012
Airman

[*] posted on 16-4-2009 at 04:52 PM

wooohoow!
i'm in :D

so if anyone needs a translation from 'German > to > English' ... I'll do it :D
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Kawoosher This user has MSN Messenger
Sqweakie
Sergeant

[*] posted on 18-4-2009 at 01:14 PM

Hi, I need some help.

Would anyone out there be able to translate a couple Japanese songs for me? There are two that I'm waffling between but I'm not too confident in the online translations I found. I would really really really appreciate it.
Valika Female
Lieutenant

[*] posted on 19-4-2009 at 09:46 AM

@Nebulan: it sounds all right for me, but I'm not authorized to make a decision about it, so you would ask afterThought.
@Squeakie: unfortunately I cannot help you in this, but if you need translation from Hungarian, I'm here and willing to help. I doubt if there is a Kawoosher around from Japan.

UhSir Female
Captain

[*] posted on 21-4-2009 at 04:23 AM

@Nebulan: Re: "Does it have to be a real language?"
Argument for: I'm sort of thinking since "Klingon" is mentioned in the opening post that maybe it'll be okay? Are there human language translations for this song? Argument against: It being non-human then the voice is just being used as a musical instrument. *shrugs*

++++++++++++++++++

Hardware: ASUS G73SW-A1, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (4095 MB, DirectX 11, Shader Model 5), Dual 500 GB internal hard drives.

Software: Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows Movie Maker 6, DVD Shrink, Windows Media Encoder 9, Freemake Video Converter, Audacity.
Lilibeth
Sergeant

[*] posted on 21-4-2009 at 09:31 AM

I just found the perfect song with a nice idea, so I'm in. :grins:
Nebulan Female
Lieutenant

[*] posted on 21-4-2009 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UhSir
@Nebulan: Re: "Does it have to be a real language?"
Argument for: I'm sort of thinking since "Klingon" is mentioned in the opening post that maybe it'll be okay? Are there human language translations for this song? Argument against: It being non-human then the voice is just being used as a musical instrument. *shrugs*

haha, yeah, I can only think of one song in Klingon and it's from the star trek VI soundtrack and it's just the repeated chant "taH pagh taHbe" which if you've seen the movie you already know it means "To be or not to be".

But yeah, if I have time, I'll probably do the German one.

Valika Female
Lieutenant

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 06:20 PM

I had several ideas for this challenge (of course, in my mother tongue;)), but finally selected the one I'll do. I'm really excited and I hope there will be a lot of great entries! Go, Kawooshers, go!

Helen
Lieutenant

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 06:43 PM

Even though I'm mostly a lurker nowadays, I'll offer my 'expertise' in Swedish if anyone needs any help :) (Just send me a pm or something)
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Kawoosher This user has MSN Messenger
Nebulan Female
Lieutenant

[*] posted on 30-4-2009 at 06:21 PM

Torri, sending you a U2U with a translation help request :)

gatebee
Airman

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 03:21 AM

am new to site ... thanks to Uhsir will be joining you on :)
afterThought Female
Challenge Manager

[*] posted on 16-5-2009 at 04:18 AM

Welcome to the forum, gatebee! :)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f353/after_thought_/MyBannercompletesmaller-1.jpg
Torri012
Airman

[*] posted on 18-5-2009 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nebulan
Torri, sending you a U2U with a translation help request :)

answered ... hopefully XD
sorry for being so late but i dont really post much here *lol*
afterThought Female
Challenge Manager

[*] posted on 25-5-2009 at 04:14 AM

Thanks folks - that's a wrap! :)

afterThought Female
Challenge Manager

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 05:59 AM

I haven't forgotten about the voting post. I'm just extremely, extremely busy at the moment. Please give me until tom'w.

UhSir Female
Captain

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 08:26 PM

((afterThought))

++++++++++++++++++

Go To Top