Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/gater/kawoosh.co.uk/forum/header.php on line 202
Kawoosh! Stargate Vidding Forum - People posting others vids & legal stuff - Powered by XMB
Kawoosh! Stargate Vidding Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/gater/kawoosh.co.uk/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 334

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/gater/kawoosh.co.uk/forum/include/functions.inc.php on line 334

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: People posting others vids & legal stuff
Stargate_sg1_luver
Major

Mood: Dude, Wait... What?

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 01:19 AM
People posting others vids & legal stuff

I was looking on a website i found many MANY vids on it, and i know for SURE at least one i regoanized that didn't belong to one of the posters, it was Melanie's 'jerk it out' behind the scenes vid.

this is the site, just thought i would let people know so they can get the cridit they deserve!

LJ = Vita_Candeo
Editer name = Equus
Website = Eternal-Afterglow
Fanfiction = Kodiak's Sweet Breath
http://www.eternal-afterglow.net/gallery/albums/Banners/tori_banner.jpg
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Kawoosher This user has MSN Messenger
Gater Female
Supreme Commander of the Kawooshers

Mood: busy, as usual

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 04:45 AM

Ah, this is the site Hoo was talking about http://www.kawoosh.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=959#pid11554) for a free place to host vids.

In a way, I personally wouldn't mind if someone posted up my video there. I'd take it as a compliment... unless they were passing it off as their own work. I mean, that's one of the main reasons I put credits with my name and site on the end of each vid I do, just incase one went astray and got picked up and shoved on the 'net by someone else.

Though I can see why this might be alarming for some editors.

Happy vidding!

(",) Gater

Kawoosh! Stargate Music Videos
http://kawoosh.co.uk

Gater on LJ
http://puddlejumping.co.uk

I don't read. I vid.

Have you read the forum guidelines?

Oath's suck. *rofl*
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Kawoosher This user has MSN Messenger
Stargate_sg1_luver
Major

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 05:01 AM

I just thought i would mention it!!!

Also, anyone know how to put a little picture/logo in one of the cornors... like the the red MM MartyMartoff has? Which would be another way, plus then it prefents clips theft too!!!

LJ = Vita_Candeo
Editer name = Equus
afterThought Female
Challenge Manager

Mood: Coffee... need coffee!!

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stargate_sg1_luver

Also, anyone know how to put a little picture/logo in one of the cornors... like the the red MM MartyMartoff has? Which would be another way, plus then it prefents clips theft too!!!

What you are talking about is 'watermarking', I believe. What NLE are you using? I use Premiere Pro so I think if you can do it a couple of ways. If the symbol you want can be created in a 'title' sequence (using one of the many fonts or wingdings) you can just put your symbol in the bottom right corner (most commonly placed place) and then put your title sequence in a new track above your vid.

Otherwise you can create your symbol in an editing program (like Photoshop) on a transparent background, save it as a png or tiff (I think, but definitely not a jpeg or bmp because they don't save transparencies). Then I think you can just put it in your timeline like you would the title sequence.

If I'm mistaken with anything, anybody feel free to correct me. I don't really like to watermark my stuff because I think it brings too much attention to itself and sort of spoils the image, but I guess if your stuff is getting stolen, it's the best way to combat that.

EDIT: I think I meant 'targa' not 'tiff'.
Gater Female

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 08:35 PM

Quote:

Oh of course, sorry, I do appreciate that! :) I'm sure a lot of vidders would like to find out if their videos have been posted up on there without permission.

Happy vidding!

(",) Gater

Gater on LJ

I don't read. I vid.

Oath's suck. *rofl*
Stargate_sg1_luver
Major

[*] posted on 7-5-2006 at 05:38 PM

Yeah... i remeber it being mentioned some other time on the fourm... posting without permision...

LJ = Vita_Candeo
Editer name = Equus
Gater Female

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 12:31 AM

I recently read this interesting situation over on LJ:

Do you call this clip theft?

Happy vidding!

(",) Gater

Gater on LJ

I don't read. I vid.

Oath's suck. *rofl*
LoveConquers
Sergeant

[*] posted on 19-5-2006 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by afterThought
Quote:

What you are talking about is 'watermarking', I believe. What NLE are you using? I use Premiere Pro so I think if you can do it a couple of ways. If the symbol you want can be created in a 'title' sequence (using one of the many fonts or wingdings) you can just put your symbol in the bottom right corner (most commonly placed place) and then put your title sequence in a new track above your vid.

Otherwise you can create your symbol in an editing program (like Photoshop) on a transparent background, save it as a png or tiff (I think, but definitely not a jpeg or bmp because they don't save transparencies). Then I think you can just put it in your timeline like you would the title sequence.

If I'm mistaken with anything, anybody feel free to correct me. I don't really like to watermark my stuff because I think it brings too much attention to itself and sort of spoils the image, but I guess if your stuff is getting stolen, it's the best way to combat that.

I'm afraid I'm guilty of watermarking my latest videos. I agree with you, it does sort of spoil the image. Unfortunately, I felt backed into it after having huge segments of my work (ie, cutting, editing, transitions, and even titles) stolen no less than seven times in the past year. I've since become rather sensitive to the issue!
But alas, even watermarking doesn't prevent everyone. One girl proceeded to steal two whole minutes of my vid, watermark and all, slap it to a different song, and call it her own. Very frustrating!
But yes, it is called watermarking. For WMM, I downloaded an XML code that a talented person was kind enough to share on a forum. You copy and paste the code into notepad and then save into a specific MM shared folder and it shows up in your titles. Very slick!
Gater Female

[*] posted on 19-5-2006 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveConquers
But yes, it is called watermarking. For WMM, I downloaded an XML code that a talented person was kind enough to share on a forum. You copy and paste the code into notepad and then save into a specific MM shared folder and it shows up in your titles. Very slick!

I think this might come useful:

Image Watermark (with XML)

Happy vidding!

(",) Gater

Gater on LJ

I don't read. I vid.

Oath's suck. *rofl*
Melibabe
Sergeant

[*] posted on 19-5-2006 at 11:33 AM

Anyone tried similar watermarking (via XML) in Premiere Pro?

LoveConquers
Sergeant

[*] posted on 19-5-2006 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gater
Quote:
Originally posted by LoveConquers

I think this might come useful:

Image Watermark (with XML)

That's it! There are a lot of talented and helpful people on that forum; I can't sing their praises enough! I have learned so much about MM from them. They also have a lot of talented people that create XML codes specifically for MM for transitions, effects, and titles. I don't believe those codes are compatible with Premiere, but I could be wrong.
Melibabe
Sergeant

[*] posted on 5-6-2006 at 12:50 AM
YouTube

Just found one of my vids up on YouTube. It was credited to me by nickname, but there was no other reference to my vids site or anything else.

I went ahead and joined YouTube so I could comment that I didn't want it up there, but since we're all using other people's property anyway (episodes and music), I don't suppose there's really anything else I can do about it.

I don't feel particularly upset at the moment, -- since, whaddahey, I make vids for myself but also to share, and that's another way it's being shared -- but I'm prone to waffle on the whole thing. I'd prefer people to download from my own site so I can get the vicarious thrill of watching my stats rise. :D

Am I going to have to load all my vids on YouTube in a defensive move, so I can at least see what kind of traffic it's getting?

What does everyone else think about the situation?

Amalthia
Lieutenant

[*] posted on 5-6-2006 at 10:50 AM

I haven't watermarked any of my vids yet but I think I'm going to start because it's really not that hard to do (extra video track, add a small title in the bottom corner...) however I also make sure I put my name on my video and my email address...so people know how to contact me if they want to find the rest of my vids.

A lot of vidders do not even put their names on their vids, let alone an email address...which is frustrating if you want to send feedback or organize your vids by vidder...
EKR
Captain

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 5-6-2006 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Melibabe

Am I going to have to load all my vids on YouTube in a defensive move, so I can at least see what kind of traffic it's getting?

What does everyone else think about the situation?

soz that people are just putting them up without permission,

but i'm actually really loving youtube at the moment, I;ve had loads of people watching my vids.. more than my website- and it doesn't use up my preciuos bandwidth.

i think i'm gonna use both, my website and youtube.

i sometimes watermark my vids in subtle ways, like a colour change or edge border or something- and i keep seeing my clips crop up in other peoples videos... which pisses me off. but i can call them on it.

i wouldn't bother watermarking my vids just to prove its mine though.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/ekr1703/banner1-1.jpg
brihana25
Lieutenant

Mood: He does have long hair, he does have long hair, he does, he does, he does!

[*] posted on 20-6-2006 at 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EKR

but i'm actually really loving youtube at the moment, I;ve had loads of people watching my vids.. more than my website- and it doesn't use up my preciuos bandwidth.

And every day that passes with those tens of thousands of potential viewers is another chance that *one* of those viewers is going to be an employee of MGM legal.

Just something to think about.

~ bri ~

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/brihana25/darkside.jpg
EKR
Captain

[*] posted on 20-6-2006 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by brihana25
Quote:
Originally posted by EKR

And every day that passes with those tens of thousands of potential viewers is another chance that *one* of those viewers is going to be an employee of MGM legal.

Just something to think about.

same can be said about our websites. in fact if people were looking for 'stargate music videos' they'd come up with 'kawoosh' first

EDIT: theres no point making videos if your not going to show them to anyone.

Gater Female

[*] posted on 20-6-2006 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EKR
same can be said about our websites. in fact if people were looking for 'stargate music videos' they'd come up with 'kawoosh' first

...which scares me.

I'm assuming that Kawoosh! can't be shut down because it doesn't host the videos nor does it distribute them, as such. Kawoosh! merely points people in the right direction. I mean, Google's not going to get shut down because it can potentially link to places where you can download stuff you shouldn't really be able to download.

However, hundreds of websites could be shut down because of Kawoosh! and obviously, I really don't want that to happen. But I can always imagine some legal dude stumbling across Kawoosh! and thinking how many vidders they can pull the plug on... or how many they can sue.

Happy vidding!

(",) Gater

Gater on LJ

I don't read. I vid.

Oath's suck. *rofl*
EKR
Captain

[*] posted on 20-6-2006 at 07:15 PM

well... firstly- stargate music vidding is so prominent that if MGM had a problem with it, it would have come up already.

but they let people do it to promote the show, and they even let conventions and other events show them. So i wouldn't worry about stargate or atlantis too much. perhaps with other shows?

secondly- i might be a little naive but its not like we plaster our real names, adresses and phone numbers all over our websites, so it whilst they could shut us down, it would be a bit harder to trace us to sue us. it would be a lot of effort, time and cost to find out who everyone is to sue us, and i'm not sure it would be worth it.

Gater Female

[*] posted on 20-6-2006 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EKR
well... firstly- stargate music vidding is so prominent that if MGM had a problem with it, it would have come up already.

but they let people do it to promote the show, and they even let conventions and other events show them. So i wouldn't worry about stargate or atlantis too much. perhaps with other shows?

secondly- i might be a little naive but its not like we plaster our real names, adresses and phone numbers all over our websites, so it whilst they could shut us down, it would be a bit harder to trace us to sue us. it would be a lot of effort, time and cost to find out who everyone is to sue us, and i'm not sure it would be worth it.

I agree with you that it would take a lot of time and effort as well as cost to start tracking people down and suing them. I mean, why are there still lots of crack sites around?

And yes, Stargate music vidding is prominent... but I reckon MGM aren't too bothered. I'm actually more concerned about the music industry/record companies/etc. (like SNY and Immediate Music).

Also, more of a question: did Sony buy Stargate off MGM? Imagine if MGM have given us some slack and allowed us to do music videos, but with the new Sony-management, they might enforce new rules and start being really nasty about it... squeezing money out of us by suing and other legal stuff.

Happy vidding!

(",) Gater

Gater on LJ

I don't read. I vid.

Oath's suck. *rofl*
brihana25
Lieutenant

Mood: He does have long hair, he does have long hair, he does, he does, he does!

[*] posted on 20-6-2006 at 11:40 PM

Quote:
And yes, Stargate music vidding is prominent... but I reckon MGM aren't too bothered. I'm actually more concerned about the music industry/record companies/etc. (like SNY and Immediate Music).

MGM hasn't been bothered in the past - when we stayed to ourselves, in our own little niche, and the only people who were finding us was people who were looking for us.

We've always been buried, in a way. Go to Google looking for music vids, click on the link to Kawoosh, find the category that fits the vid you're wanting to see, click again, find a potential site that has it, click, dig around that site looking for it, a few more clicks...

YouTube and MySpace take out all the middlemen. Go to YouTube and type in "Stargate," and there we are - some of us against our will - right alongside the moron who thinks it's acceptable to post up the entire first nine seasons of the show.

If they decide to go after that guy (and who could blame them if they did), then odds are they'd come after us, too, because we're right there.

This isn't a matter of Googling and Googling and clicking all over the internet looking for copyright violations. This is a matter of a one word search on one of the most popular websites in existence at the moment.

Exposure isn't always a good thing, and in this case, I think it's the last thing we need to be doing to ourselves.

Quote:
Also, more of a question: did Sony buy Stargate off MGM? Imagine if MGM have given us some slack and allowed us to do music videos, but with the new Sony-management, they might enforce new rules and start being really nasty about it... squeezing money out of us by suing and other legal stuff.

Sony bought MGM.

Sony: the wonderful, forgiving, understanding company that so loves its fans that it put a Trojan RootKit that it had paid to have created specifically for the purpose of spying on consumers inside rights-management media player software that it forced its customers to install on their computers before they could listen to CDs that they bought and paid for, with the sole intent of finding people who they could claim were "infringing" on their intellectual property so they could sue them.

This is who we're dealing with now. They have no compunction even when it comes to breaking the law, if it means they might find someone to sue.

For some reason, I've got a feeling that when they cruise by YouTube looking for copyright violations (and I have no doubt that they will, if they haven't already) and they end up with 4 dozen pages of music videos staring them right in the face, they're not going to be so inclined to look the other way.

~ bri ~

Gater Female

[*] posted on 21-6-2006 at 01:38 AM

Quote:
MGM hasn't been bothered in the past - when we stayed to ourselves, in our own little niche, and the only people who were finding us was people who were looking for us.

Okay yeah, you're quite right, I see your point.

Sometimes I think that vidders concentrate on receiving as many "hits" or "views" as possible rather than receiving some informative feedback for their vid. The "hit"-counts can be quite misleading too.

Services like youTube provide such an easy means of uploading videos and getting lots of traffic, which some will interpret as "cool, lots of people like my vid", but to me will never reflect the true nature of a vidder's piece of work.

I get satisfaction from comments about my vids - good or bad - the fact that someone has taken the time to view it and review it is enough for me.

I like and try to keep a low profile, announcing vids I make within related forums/communities and keep my videos on a site I rarely bother to advertise, rather than distributing them on a popular public video hosting service where yes, again I agree, "one word search", they're so easy to find.

I know I'm starting to think of password-protecting my site, but at the moment I still feel it's too restricting. I like having the odd person stumbling across my site via a Google search for example.

But yeah, that odd person could be someone wanting to sue me.

:\

Happy vidding!

(",) Gater

Gater on LJ

I don't read. I vid.

Oath's suck. *rofl*
brihana25
Lieutenant

[*] posted on 21-6-2006 at 06:10 AM

Quote:

I know I'm starting to think of password-protecting my site, but at the moment I still feel it's too restricting. I like having the odd person stumbling across my site via a Google search for example.

But yeah, that odd person could be someone wanting to sue me.

:\

I think TAS will be going that way very, very shortly as well. I'm sick of finding my stuff on YouTube (though they're very good about taking it back down again, if the poster refuses to do so), MySpace (takes two weeks to get a canned "go screw yourself" email from them), LimeWire, Shareaza, Kazaa, eDonkey... my God, The Cantina is everywhere, and it's really starting to piss me off. If I'd wanted my vids out there in front of a few million people every day, I'd have put them there in the first place.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned - actually, I probably am - but I much preferred it when there were a few dozen of us SG1 vidders out there at any one time. When we cared about the quality of what we were producing more than we cared about the quantity of vids we made. When we kept to ourselves and helped each other get better.

Now... it's like my passion has become the latest fad. Only this time, it's a fad that could get us all slapped by some pretty powerful people. Personally, I think anyone who wants to make sure that they don't get caught in the backlash had better do everything they can now to get themselves out of the way, whether that be password protecting everything or simply yanking them all down (which I almost did last week).

This is my hobby. I do this for fun; I do this when I need to relax and create something. I don't do it for accolades or awards or hit counts, and I sure as hell don't do it just to make myself the target of a lawsuit.

~ bri ~

Ms. 3M
Sergeant

Mood: Living for weekends!

[*] posted on 21-6-2006 at 06:15 AM

Azonia and I are discussing going password protected also.

Life was much simpler when flying beneath the radar.

Such is life. *sigh*

AzoniaMMM Productions is an equal opportunity vidding effort.
~ See our vids at http://www.azonia.net/
EKR
Captain

[*] posted on 21-6-2006 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
This is my hobby. I do this for fun; I do this when I need to relax and create something. I don't do it for accolades or awards or hit counts, and I sure as hell don't do it just to make myself the target of a lawsuit.

and thats the reason you snapped at my youtube post. clearly you think i'm after the things you listed. you have no respect for me, or why i vid.

I want people to see my vids, because i want to share my hobby and celebrate stargate.

brihana25
Lieutenant

[*] posted on 21-6-2006 at 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EKR

and thats the reason you snapped at my youtube post. clearly you think i'm after the things you listed. you have no respect for me, or why i vid.

1. I didn't snap at you. If I had, you'd have known it. So would Gater, and I'd have been modded for it.
2. Don't ascribe motives to my words beyond what I say and don't try to put words in my mouth.
3. I wasn't talking to you or about you - I was talking to Gater about me. If you want to take offense at my reasons for vidding, then go right ahead, but don't throw around baseless accusations about my lack of respect for you.
4. If you want respect, give it. I've laid out some very strong reasons for my opposition to the use of YouTube for video hosting. Don't dismiss those reasons just because you want to believe that I'm this horrible, terrible, evil person who so "obviously" has no respect for you or your reasons for doing what you do.

And no, I don't believe that "this way I don't have to pay for the bandwidth" is a valid reason for using YouTube or MySpace. Keeping TAS up and running has bled me dry over this past year. There was a time, not so long ago, when the site closing forever looked like a very real possibility, just because I could no longer afford to pay the bandwidth charges. And if it actually had come to that (which it didn't, thank God above), I would have closed it down. I would never have hosted my vids on YouTube, because to me, doing that is too dangerous to everyone else.

Quote:
I want people to see my vids, because i want to share my hobby and celebrate stargate.

And so do I. But not at the cost of anyone else. And putting vids on YouTube, putting them out in the open, into the mainstream, is drawing attention to our little corner of the internet that we cannot afford.

Everyone felt so badly for SNY when she got her C&D from Immediate, didn't they? But there was no one here who really understood just exactly what it felt like to her, to be told that she is no longer allowed to do something she loves and something she is so incredibly good at.

Wait until the first C&Ds start showing up in the mailboxes of people using YouTube for hosting. And don't think that hiding behind an "anonymous" email address or using an alias online will protect you - they will find you if they want to.

I do hope, for your sake and for so many others, that those C&Ds never show up. But I'm not going to pretend that they're not a very real possiblity, and that is a risk that I am not prepared to take - not for myself, and most definitely not for the entire vidding community.

~ bri ~

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top